Thursday, April 19, 2007

Bangkok trip dec '06

A couple of days back, Jolyn showed me her little trove of travelling pictures amassed from her last few vacations. Looking at those photographs depicting splendid food and the leisurely life, I couldn't help but feel wanderlust stirring in me. And this prompted me to go back and look through my own collection of snapshots taken from my recent Bangkok holiday. Previously I had only briefly browsed through them, as the pleasing memories of Bangkok were still fresh in my mind. But this time while looking through, I found some rather interesting ones to share. None of those postcard type photographs of landmarks, you guys have probably seen them all.

Ja and I at Diamond City Hotel. This photo is titled "Gay Motel", need I say more?

I got from the streets this assortment of grilled pork and chicken served on a bed of greens. A bit like the local satay, but each stick is much meatier, and there are more varieties to choose from. Throw in a can of Singha, and its a happy meal for just roughly 2 stinking Singapore dollars!

Dirt cheap fares, a spacious and breezy interior, and carrying the charm of the last era, the ubiquitous bus is perfect for exploring the streets of Bangkok.

Apparently there's a place in Thai mythology for giant she-monsters which gobble hapless village men as a source of nourishment. If whoever painted this think they are terrifying, he obviously haven't seen Mel Lee.

I bought these out of curiosity, and off the streets for a mere 10 Baht. Lights poorly and lacks body, but rather spicy. Not recommended, I ditched the whole packet after 1.

You can find anything in Chatuchak. Even toilet roll dispensers in the form of a negro stripper with pink nipples. Comes complete with a pink sequined thong to hide its bulging male genitals. We got this for Kenny as a souvenir, and to this date I still wonder about his wife’s initial reaction when he brought it home.

We found this magician, flamboyantly clad in red thigh-hugging leather pants, and knee-high snakeskin boots, also in Chatuchak. When he performs, he would also move his body to the latest hip-hop hits booming out of a cassette player. I paid 20 Baht for his Magic Book, and instructions on how to use it...I'm his biggest fucking fan!

And lastly, a tribute to my favorite donuts.

No comments: